I Dare You To Tell Me To Sleep While Baby Is Sleeping...
When I sit down to think of the fact that it has been
8 months since I actually slept through the night it sounds so ridiculous...and
with my first son it was 11 months straight. Being sleep deprived is the biggest
understatement.
So when people tell me that I should just sleep when
baby is sleeping the eye rolling starts immediately.
Here are 5 comments that I frequently received and the
reasons why I think it's foolishness:
1) "I feel for you" and proceed to give me
tips on how to get my son to sleep for both naps and straight through the night...
this is accepted depending on the day but how many times have you heard the
infamous line "every baby is different" so stop it cause for me, mine
just doesn't sleep.
2) "Rest is the most important and the housework
can wait"... ok I understand that and yes it most certainly can but I am
also the one home who has to watch it pile up as I make sleep my 2nd priority
after baby and isn't stress a thing too?
3) "Just jump in bed in the evenings as soon as
the baby goes to bed so that you can make the most out of his first sleep
window"... that is an awesome idea if it was okay with me to have my
entire existence revolve around taking care of the baby and sleeping. Can I
read, watch tv, listen to music, surf the net, have my mind on something other
than motherhood and sleep - even if I am doing it with my eyes closed from
exhaustion lol?
4) "Don't worry about dinner, just have hubby
pick up something on his way home"...really? Can this be done everyday...cause
that is how I am feeling everyday...?
How's your financial situation set up?
5) "You know you are just gonna burn yourself out
trying to do it all"... Oh you know what?... you are right. So how about you stop eyeing the dust that is
on my side tables and stopping by for a minute but hoping for a meal.
Ok...rant over.
However in all seriousness, saying to an extremely
sleep deprived new mom "well you should really sleep while baby is
sleeping"... doesn't help.
Yup, I said it.
Does that seem realistic with all of the things that need
to be done in a day? I won't even touch on what I want to do for the day
cause that is always at the bottom of the list but the needs to do's are
overwhelming enough.
So please think twice about saying it and perhaps also
check your expectations before interacting with that new mom because guess
what...
she can feel it!


Comments
Post a Comment